Friday, April 15, 2011

Magali Roman

Magali will be the first to admit she can be a little obsessive, especially when it comes to style. After watching Pirates of the Caribbean, all she wants to wear are pirate boots. After watching Pride and Prejudice, she can't stop thinking about empire waists! But as much as her tastes can change, there are certain looks she will always adore. A true anglophile, her love of the mod aesthetic tinged with British rock vibes comes through particularly in this ensemble. "The kind of things I want to wear are what I want my future boyfriend to wear," she told me, musing skinny jeans and ankle boots, and with an attitude like that, these future beaus better get their acts together!











Blouse: Urban Outfitters
Pants: H&M
Coat: H&M
Headband: vintage
Flats: from a store in Buenos Aires
Sunglasses: H&M
Bag: gift from Buenos Aires
Rings: Charlotte Russe (left) and a flea market in Buenos Aires (right)

When did you first become interested in fashion?
I guess I've always been interested in fashion. As a kid I threw together these outfits and would take a really long time putting them together, but I seriously started studying fashion when I began reading Teen Vogue, to which I'm hopelessly addicted. My grandmother also inspired my love of clothes because she's a really stylish lady.

Who are some of your biggest style icons?
I am in love with Alexa Chung! Everything she does is so perfect. Also, Keira Knightly and Erin Wasson, who has that whole hippy androgynous vibe down. But I'm kind of a seasonal person. In the fall, I like to dress Iike Alexa and Erin, and in the summer I like to dress like Zooey Deschanel. I also love men's rock style, especially Julian Casablancas, Keith Richards...

What era best defines your style?
The 60s and 50s too. English mod.

If you could pick your three favorite pieces in your closet right know, what would they be?
- I really like my leather shorts, I think they are so cool. They are kind of high-waisted, and one of those pieces I needed in my life. I love the contradiction of them, and I love wearing them with black tights, a baggy sweater and my coat.
- My boy's blazer. It's big and baggy, and makes anything look cool. It's navy with gold buttons, and looks amazing with dresses.
- My grandma's handbag. It's a brown doctor's bag satchel thing. It's got metal handles and two leather buckles. It's light brown leather, and smells amazing. It snaps shut and has brass clasps. When I saw it I kind of died. I fangirled over it so much that my grandma had to give it to me. I'll use it forever, and its so classic it will never go out of style.

Where do you shop?
I'm addicted to H&M. I love Buffalo Exchange- so cool, with such amazing people. I really love Madewell, even though its pretty expensive, but its my style in a store: preppy blazers, silk shirts. Its not preppy in a Lily Pulitzer way, with colors and prints you wouldn't expect. And Anthropologie! I go to look, but never buy. If I was a teacher I would get everything from there, because it is as professional as it is fun.

If you could describe your style in one sentence or less, what would it be?
If I was in the 50s or 60s, I would want to be the girl who dresses like a guy, but do it in a feminine sort of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment